Wu Jie (Head Coach)
Formerly a first class professional fencer from China, Wu Jie has had an outstanding career as a national fencer for Singapore, at some point even standing among the Top 4 in two different weapons! Yet, impressive as Wu Jie’s résumé as a fencer is, he is undoubtedly more talented a coach than he is a fencer.
Blessed with keen eyes and a keener intellect, Wu Jie sees a technique, and quickly realises its advantages, disadvantages and the many ways it can be employed. Wu Jie is then able to not only teach his students these new techniques, but also adapt them to suit their abilities, working together with his students to create their own unique fencing style.
For many years, three of the Top Four Men’s Foilists in Singapore were under his tutelage, the fourth member being himself! At some point, excluding himself, five out of the seven Men’s Foilists in the Senior Team were his students. Additionally, he was also the coach of four out of the eight Women’s Epeeists in the Senior Team. All of these elite athletes, he developed out of fencers who had previously not been fencing at a high level. Some of the momentous feats of his students include a Bronze medal at the Nanjing Asian Youth Games 2013, and making Singaporean history in 2012 as the first ever Singaporean to qualify for the quarterfinals at a Cadet World Championship.
Technique, any coach can teach. Advice, any coach can give. Where Wu Jie excels is in the cultivation of his fencer’s own style of fencing, allowing them to play to their strengths by employing techniques and tactics adapted to suit them.
- Approved coach under the Singapore Sports Council-managed Sports Education Programme (SEP)
- Attended the Olympic Solidarity Technical Course
- Attended a seminar on fencing for coaches by the National Federation in Asia & Oceania
- Holds the NCAP 2 theory certification from Singapore Sports Council
- MOE Registered Coach
- First-Aid Certified
- Set up many fencing teams in various institutions that achieved impressive competitive results (Hwa Chong Institution, Raffles Institution, Singapore Institute of Management)
- Assistant National Men’s Foil Coach (2006-2007)
- Head Coach of Singapore fencing contingent in 26th, 27th and 28th Summer Universiade
- Trained many students across all 3 different weapon groups and of various age categories to achieve impressive results (multiple gold medal winners in annual Novices competition, National Championships, as well as international tournaments)
- Nurtured many current Singapore top senior fencers since the beginning of their career:
- top 4 local men’s foil senior team members
- 4 women’s epee senior team members
- 1 men’s sabre senior team member
- Bronze medallist at Nanjing AYG 2013
- First ever quarterfinalist at a Cadet World Championship in Singapore history
- Number 1 senior ranked fencer in Singapore from 2006 to 2014
- Bronze medallist in Commonwealth Fencing Championships 2014
- Team 5th position in Incheon Asian Games 2014
- 5 years consecutive Gold medallist in FS Challenge (2004-2008)
- 4 years consecutive Gold medallist in National Individual Championships (2009-2012)
- 2 times medal winner of South East Asian Games (2007, 2011)
- 4 times gold medal winner in South East Asian Fencing Championships
- Winner of multiple medals in various regional and international competitions